Biyernes, Enero 16, 2015

He reminded us of God's love

I thought I missed something knowing everybody is in Tacloban to welcome the visiting Pope Francis.At first it was all right with our decision not to go. Then when I watched the proceedings in the TV and now everybody was all agog about going to meet him at his next stop I felt as if I too wanted to go, but it was too late to make arrangements, and with a kid in tow, it was not just possible.

So I monitored his visit, thru TV. Being just a distant spectator can also be as overwhelming as when I was there personally. Twenty years ago, in 1995 I had the same feeling when I joined the Neo catechumenate community of our parish in attending the World Youth Day where the late Pope John Paul II (now a saint) came to the Philippines to be with the youth.It was the largest gathering so far according to sources with over five million people in attendance.I was with my oldest son, who was just a teener then.WE stayed in our allotted space which was some distance from the Quirino grandstand and was quite ecstatic when the Pope passed by in his mobile.

Without the hassle and excitement of  preparation (had I gone to physically attend the event )I consider my participation now more intense than twenty years ago.I was tearful as  I witnessed the humility,  the natural humor, the manifestation of love and compassion of Pope Francis for the people. I listened to his speech in Malacanang, his homily and his message to the selected families in the Mall of Asia. I saw him kiss the children, bless the sick, the handicap and the aged. I have never seen a man with as much love and compassion for the Filipinos as Pope Francis.

Tomorrow he will be in Tacloban to visit the victims of Typhoon Yolanda. Blessed are the people who are given the opportunity to come near him, dine with him and kiss his ring. And blessed we all are because he rekindled the faith in our hearts and reminded us of God's providence and love.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento